Search This Blog

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Men are from mars...women are from Venus....

I started this post a couple weeks back..but still think it's worth finishing and posting...

We have all heard this saying and a few may have read the book. It may be a generalization...but in my world and many of my friends...this is so true.  I was talking with a good friend about some recent "talks" Dennis and I have had and realized I am not a lone in the situations that occur or how they make me feel.   We had a good laugh talking about it....which is good because in the moment I want to ring my Martian husbands neck!  I am sure he has some plans for me then too!!:)

I think most of my followers are women so you likely can relate. As for the men..you will relate but likely from a different point of view.  I have talked a lot about hormones and emotions and how they make you feel good and other times....awful.  Normally(no pregnancy) us women can get mildly irrational and a little over the top. In the moment it is like a tidal wave going through you...you know you are losing it over likely nothing but it feels so real and so important.  I am not saying it never is...but it is that overpowering feeling. Usually during these times I probably get short, nit picky,etc, etc...because EVERYTHING is annoying.   In some of those down moments all I want is Dennis to see I am struggling, ask if I am okay,("did you have a bad day?"), talk, give me a hug so I can cry it out.  But usually the opposite occurs.  He avoids me, thinking space is what I need (because that is what he would want).  By this time I am upset, he hasn't come to comfort me, infuriated he thinks nothing is wrong. I then start to ask...maybe demand through sobs what I need.  "GIVE ME A HUG".  His response is often..you want me to hug you when you are snapping and sometimes being mean? "you want me to hug that??(ie me)"  YES!!  To me he should understand why I am upset, understand the emotions going through my body, but he doesn't.  Really it is no fault of his own...I don't think guys get these surges.    The problem is I think they struggle with understanding where it comes from, that it is not a personal attack.

So...this happened last week after a long tiring day at work. I was exhausted. I was running around the house trying to get things packed to go away for the weekend...and one of these moment in sued.  I was telling my girlfriend about this.  Last year around this time she was pregnant.  She asked me if I remembered a similar conversation where her and her husband didn't' talk for a couple days because of this.  I hadn't in the moment but now that she was mentioning it I did....made me feel better that...we aren't the only dysfunctional couple around...that we are likely part of the majority.  I try pointing this out to Dennis...but not sure if he buys it. I think he things I am a little looney, pregnancy and injection hormonal!!

Regardless, we make it through these crazy times and love each other just the same....but ask us in those moments....yes always love....but maybe not like so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment