Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2014

The ball is rolling...

Last Wednesday I got an email late in the afternoon from the California clinic with "our schedule".    I had in my head that we would get a good months notice. This would give us time to notify work, plan our vacation week before and get organize. I had figured by now we were looking at the middle of July.  Nope...retrieval day for the donor is July 1 or 2nd (so we have to be there) and transfer day the following sunday or monday!

WHAT??!  So I had a freak out...huge.  Don't get me wrong I am excited and we have been waiting for this forever...but it took me by surprise how quick.   I was worried  about work, worried about booking everything...no way...no how.  I  already had to be in the clinic the next morning for blood work and ultrasound.   I thought...this has to change.  Well, it did not.  The nurse at SOFT told me it was normal it could be this fast and it's not unrealistic. Basically the donors have control....so...game on for us!

That day we met with our coordinator (who is now the same because of my job change).  We had given her a heads up so she knew this was coming.  I must say she was amazing, so understanding and compassionate. I feel awful leaving work, especially since I am overlapping a week with my inpatient colleague and someone else being off for surgery.  I know I have no control but I still feel guilty.  She was amazing though...her motto "Family first!" WOW! So different than the philosophy on my old program.  She reassured me to not worry, she had a plan...and the told Dennis multiple times to "BE SUPPORTIVE".  So awesome.

I decided I would let some of my new colleagues know..hoping they would understand better why I was leaving them high and dry.  I sent an email and everyone has been super understanding...

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!! So glad you are getting awesome support from work. That is exactly how it should be. All the very best!

    ReplyDelete