Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sticky Uterus!!

Sorry for the delay in writing....not great wifi connection and the post I had almost done I accidently deleted. Argggh!!

Anyway, we are alive and well...I am just way behind on posts, journaling, etc  We have had some busy, longer days and I am tired by the end!

This post is about transfer day....and the title Sticky uterus is compliments of one of my closest friends Monica.  First round through and now this one we had a bunch of mantras....this being one of them..  Hopefully my uterus is sticky and the embryos do their  thing and burrow in. YES...we put two in!!  We will see what happens.  We put two with Callen...but got just him...so only God knows.

Transfer day was much shorter and smoother than last time from my point of view.  We were in and out quicker.  We arrived, paid...OUCH...and within in a few minutes we were brought back to our room. We met with a nurse to go over post transfer instructions, paper work, etc.  Next is the embryologist...this is kind of cool. He told us how they chose the two, what we have left and answered our questions. Our little frozen embryos were thawed that morning. We have five left....all but one are similar quality.  Like last time...we got a picture...aren't they cute?:)
Next, I took my diazepam and started sipping my water.  The medication to help me and my lining relax.  It is supposed to help in my body accepting the embryo.  The water is to fill my bladder to "comfortably full".  The transfer is ultrasound guided. Having my bladder full enough helps make the passage easier to see and to get to where we want.    The water drinking went much better than last time. I joke that this is the worst part of the transfer. I suck at finding that "comfortable" full.  Last time I drank too much, too soon and ended up peeing and refilling way too many times.  This time I was much better.  On first check...not full enough...so more sipping and waiting.  Finally, I was ready to go.  Was I nervous...yes....for many reasons.  The procedure not so much...maybe a bit, but more the whole thing starting, the unknown.  It worked last time....success rates even with a frozen embryo are pretty high...but you never know.
So...the process itself is actually fairly quick. You assume the position....ladies you know what this means...yup legs in stirrups.  On an aside...theirs are nice and padded...with oven mitts!:)    Dr Hubert comes in with his nurse and we get all set up.  He is such a lovely man who is genuine, personable....truly seems to love his job.  He has a London connection through his wife I believe..so always asking about how things are.  Anyway, speculum in (not my favourite...but he's pretty gentle) and he does a "practice" run with the catheter/tube.  The nurse has the abdomen ultrasound so you can see on the screen the tube.  Next the real thing. He gets the tube through a little "drive through" window from the embryologist...and in they go.  On the screen we could see a little flash.    After that I got dressed, peed....yay! and Off we went...Oh....I almost forgot.  Protocol...had to get wheel-chaired out to the parking lot.

Okay....so lots of crossed fingers and good vibes this way please!  Sticky uterus!

No comments:

Post a Comment