Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Acupuncture release.....

Many of you know that in the fall I took an acupuncture course.  A group of us from Parkwood went to Toronto for our 3 day on site training. Two of the days were mainly hands on.  In small groups we would be shown a point, then we would buddy up and practice on each other.  While my partner was doing the back points (GV 3, GV4, BL23 and BL25) I had a bit of a weird reaction. I was anticipating it might be uncomfortable as my low back doesn't really flex much...okay...I barely get it flat (insert comments from my physio colleagues here).  So...I thought it might be trickier to landmark, insert and manipulate the points.

Needles in...fine.  One of the instructors and my partner were fiddling/adjust one of the needles. I don't recall any pain, but maybe a flash and suddenly I was crying...I mean UNCONTROLLABLY.  I wasn't hurt, I wasn't thinking about anything...just full out weeping.  My partner felt awful, he looked so shocked and worried.  They pulled everything out and I just lay there. I couldn't stop...I tried to breath, talk myself down and then it would literally bubble out of me. It wasn't till she put a need in the "Happy point"GV 24.5 that I was finally able to calm down.  By the end I was SO exhausted, had bags under my eyes and bruises later. It took part way into the next week till I felt my energy was back.

The instructor reassured me this can happen with people, it isn't common but does happen.  People can get an emotional and physical "release"...something your body needed.  She says it is common post MVA.  Later when nobody was around I asked her more about it and told her a bit about my fertility journey.  There is a good chance it was linked.  WEIRD!

Please don't let this turn anyone off from acupuncture for any treatment. A reaction like this is extremely rare! I have had some amazing success with my patients and think it is a great tool.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your body really responded to the acupuncture! Let me know if you ever want to go to my acupuncturist. She also does fertility treatments...although I know it is just one more medical appt to go to!

    You are such a trooper to have gone through all of this and still show up at work smiling and cheering your patients on! :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete