Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Our fertility journey...the beginning...

Like most couples we had talked about kids and wanted a family.  Our first summer married was our "last summer without kids" so to speak.  We spent a chunk of our time on motorcycles, camping, enjoying being just us.  We knew that there was a possibility of having some issues with getting pregnant as I had tried for two years with my ex.  (All my tests then had been good.)  We assumed that for us...there would be no problem... I did my fertility battle...this time..no problem...it was my turn.

When we decided we would start to try, I tried to "just relax", "let it happen" as many of suggested.  Believe me I wanted the innocent way of getting and finding out you were pregnant, but I already knew too much.  Women will understand that it is hard to shut our brain off, hard to stopping knowing the facts and reading your body.  

After a few months of trying we decided it was time to check things out. (Okay..I decided...my biological clock in my head was ticking).   With my history I wanted to make sure everything was okay before we waste valuable time. A great friend of mine referred us to SOFT 
http://www.soft-infertility.com/.   We started seeing them in 2012.  The whole team is amazing! I highly recommend them to anyone who is struggling with fertility.   They are open every day of the week all year except for 2 weeks at Christmas where they spend time with their families and rejuvenate.  To me they are more than just health professionals, they are a support network and in a way have become like family.

So, we started seeing them, had lots of blood work and tests including  internal ultrasound and hysteroslapingogram (if you are interested in what this is...http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/hysterosalpingogram-21590).  Everything came back fine with me...no problems noted. First thing we tried was cycle monitoring.  They literally "monitor" your cycle.  Certain days I would go in (usually before work) for blood work and and ultrasound (more about it soon).  They would track my cycle and based on my hormone levels let us know when was "date night".  Takes a bit of the romance out of things...but that way we weren't guessing when the "right" time was.   So..the ultrasound piece was to monitor my follicle growth (these become eggs).  They have these huge screens where I could see what the ultrasound technician was seeing...really cool!!  Sorry if I lose anyone with this whole process...it was new to me too.  SOFT's website along with many on line resources were very helpful.

Think this is a good place to take a break...more posts to come...





No comments:

Post a Comment