Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Intrauterine....what??

So...a little bit of info for those who aren't down with the lingo.  I tend to break into acronyms so let me know if I don't clarify things.  IUI was our next step.  I will give you a brief description.  Remember I am not a doctor or nurse..just summarizing my understanding. Again check out  http://www.soft-infertility.com  download information; under the cycles section for pdf file on it.

IUI:  Intrauterine insemination.....this is what many think of as the turkey baster approach.    Yes..I said it...you were all thinking it.     It is less invasive and can be done in the clinic. As in other cycles I go in to SOFT for ultrasound and blood work Day 3, back in for blood work/Ultrasound day 8-10...depending on my cycle. They are looking again for my LH surge which means I will ovulate.  We want the right window of opportunity.  As my follicles get bigger and my blood work changes as expected I come in daily till I surge(indicating an ovulation).  So...lots of early mornings before work to beat the rush of others.  Instead of date night...the next day we do the following:  Dennis has his cup date early in the morning.  We keep the boys warm(usually in my bra...body heat is best) and take them into the clinic where the lab does their thing, extracts the most sperm they can and prepares them in a solution for the procedure.  The procedure itself is pretty quick.  A speculum is inserted,  then a catheter with a syringe attached to it is inserted.  Everything is inserted and removed. I lay there for 10 minutes...then back to work!!  Don't worry...they can't fall out!

Does it hurt?? It can be uncomfortable and varies...usual speculum uncomfortable feeling.(think of getting a pap done)  The catheter insertion can be uncomfortable at times if the nurse has to go around some curves..which of course by anatomy has.  But the nurses are amazing and I rarely got cramps.   I did get a bit crampy when they are in the "right spot" but that is quick and fleeting and supposed to happen.  My first time I took tylenol...after that I didn't find I needed to.

Funny story...  Our first IUI was a big moment...we thought this could be it!! (Which it could have..you never know).  Dennis came with me for that one.  As I am laying there and the nurse is about to inject he says..."Is this where I am supposed to say oh baby, oh baby??"  Classic...try to not laugh and contract things when he says such romantic things like that!:)

Cost?  Yes....$200 each treatment.  We usually would do two consecutive days of IUI because of the low count...to increase numbers.  Second at SOFT is $50.   All the monitoring is included under OHIP but anything extra like medication, IUI's, IVF is not covered in Ontario.  In some provinces like Quebec...more procedures are covered

So..what next?  We say good bye to staff at SOFT for 2 weeks and come back for our Beta.  Unfortunately for us we received a negative..   But...not the end of the road...there are still options.....

I will talk about our coping in a post soon...but thought this image was funny!
Photo: Ok so we've been debating for DAYS on whether to post this (from a patient).  We are not condoning this activity, but the thought is quite funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment